viernes, 7 de mayo de 2010

Humanist or scientific?

So resently I have been thinking what is it that separates a humanist form a scientific apart form the fact that humanist usually enjoy subjects such as Languages, Art, History, etc and Scientific enjoy subjects as math, biology, Physic or Chemistry, though this is not mandatory. So having conversations with my brothers, my dad - the Scientist of the family- and my mom, some of my teachers -who are also Humanists- I came to some conclusions. Let me present the situations to you.

Situation 1- After I lend my Percy Jackson´s books to my little brother, he has created an habit of coming in to my room and asking me "You know what I ask myself?....." So the other day he came into my room and told me that the Apollo - Big-Mass-of- Gass situation didn´t have any logic, I told him that he didn´t have to push logic into every situation, but he kept pushing so I told him that not everything has a logic, that sometimes we have to believe blindly so he went to my dad telling him that I was mentally unstable because I didn´t look for logic on everything, so he explained to him that in literature not everything has a logic - thing that most of my class didn´t want to believe when the teacher explained.


Situation 2- My dad recently has an obsession about a Zepelling and he makes the mathematic operations to see if it´s possible, so he was telling me about it and I told him that he wasted he free time and he said that he just wanted to find out if it was possible so I told him that if I was going to dream, I didn´t have to find out if it was possible, that if I dreamed with a Zepelling I didn´t care at all how it flied that if it was going to fly because the elf were doing it I didn´t care or that of it was going to fly because of some candy inside it then it did and I didn´t care how and he callede a drugie and then blamed it on my humanistic personality.

Situation 3- During dinner I was telling my family how much I abhor maths, and my dad defend them saying that everything has a mathematical solution and I told him that no, my mom scoffed and my brothers agreed with him, so I defended my side telling him that as far as I knew my emotions weren´t controlled by some mathematical thingy and my mom agreed with me, but my dad explained that the emotions are controlled by the brains and stuff I don´t really care about - my feelings have no logical explanation- so I asked him that how did he explain a miracle mathematically, and he said that to find out that it is a miracle you have to use all the scientific methods until you find out that none of it is, and then my mom said "Well that´s how you find it out, but she asked you to explain it" my mom and I won the discussion.

Situation 4- During the first days of school this year my art teacher -my favorite teacher I think I´m going to do a post about him- was explaining to us why the world isn´t going to end on 2012, he said that if God had let us be "bad" for more than 300000 years why would he ever let us be good for just 2012 years. and you know I got his explanation better than the one my dad gave that had something to that if the world was going to end on the 2012 we would´ve already noticed because of some scientific reason.

So I came to the conclusion that a Scientific is that person who looks for a mathematical logic in everything while a humanist use a different logic, like if I´m going to dream it can be what ever I want it to be, and stuff like that.

And to end this post I´m going to leave you with a question, my teacher made in class. Art in every form -painting, literature, music, etc- can explain the feelings, but how would you do that with math or chemistry or physics???

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

So what do you think?